Monday, March 2, 2009

CI 5461: Entry 5.0 Asexually reproducing Writing Prompts!

A Reaction to "After the End"

Video of Crazy Man "Exploding the Moment"

Okay, this man, the author of After the End, is hilarious!

In psychology, when peeps try to create a theory, the rule is, "the simpler the better." That is totally how I feel about teaching creative writing using thought-shots and snapshots, zooming in and out, etc. I have grown so sick of the phrase "show don't tell" that being provided with a new vocabulary for the same stand-by writing techniques was refreshing as ****!

But here's what I started to think about. Did I ever actually learn creative writing? I don't think I did, not until college. All the great ideas in the world are moot if there is no "room" in our schools for getting students to write creatively. So what is going on with this? Do we need state standards in order to get creativity in the classroom? Especially in high school, you could elect to take creative writing... but even then it had the reputation of being "the slacker class." I challenge you, one and all -- use those multi-genre papers and make creative writing both fun and intense.

And if your students ever say to you, "I don't know what to write," You can slap this book on their desk or force them to watch the man's nutso youtube videos. I can't wait until this cohort changes the world by getting students to write in new ways, but new genres have to make it into the classroom before they can be written, revised, and written again.

Resource Link: If you ever teach film studies, this would be an awesome place to go...
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rein0012/5472.NMedia/Mod3.Techniq/Shots.html

No comments:

Post a Comment